Arizona, Could You Please Keep Up?
There is little I enjoy in life more than winning. You might not think it just by looking at me, but I’ve been told on more than sixty occasions that I’m a competitive girl. Whether it’s beating my grandparents at Trivial Pursuit (which I often do), predicting the correct score of a football game, or getting a movie quote before anyone else, I like the winning.
I also like to pretend that I have an excellent memory; that I can pinpoint the exact moment I first heard a popular song or that I remember precisely what I was wearing when I saw a movie for the first time.
Given these qualities about me, it’s not surprising that people don’t really like to be around me.
Kidding. What I meant to say was that it’s not surprising that my one true joy in life is to “compete” daily in a radio contest called “Remember the Time.” At 8am each morning I tune my radio to John Jay & Rich, a morning show based in Arizona, in order to hear a montage of songs, movie quotes, and television snippets and then try to guess what year all of it happened.
To ensure that I’m honest, I text my answer to a friend each day as we listen so that it’s a legitimate--and I use that term very, very loosely--victory. And, well, I don’t like to brag, but I’m really good at it. Like really good. Like Usain Bolt running the 100 meter good.
Now I know you’re on the edge of your seat waiting with bated breath for the point of all this nonsense and you will be rewarded for your patience shortly.
I tuned my radio to 99.9 at 7:56am yesterday and were my friends playing a montage? No. They were discussing some meaningless drivel that had nothing to do with me getting a personal victory for the fourth day in a row.
And do you know why they were doing such things? Because stupid Arizona refuses to participate in Daylight Savings Time with the majority of the country, thus ruining my morning and causing my self-esteem to take a nosedive.
Remember the Time is now broadcast at 7am MST and there’s a better chance that I’ll start running as fast as our friend Usain than there is that I’ll be in my car by 7am each morning.
Just wanted to share my personal Daylight Savings Time heartache with you. De nada.
I also like to pretend that I have an excellent memory; that I can pinpoint the exact moment I first heard a popular song or that I remember precisely what I was wearing when I saw a movie for the first time.
Given these qualities about me, it’s not surprising that people don’t really like to be around me.
Kidding. What I meant to say was that it’s not surprising that my one true joy in life is to “compete” daily in a radio contest called “Remember the Time.” At 8am each morning I tune my radio to John Jay & Rich, a morning show based in Arizona, in order to hear a montage of songs, movie quotes, and television snippets and then try to guess what year all of it happened.
To ensure that I’m honest, I text my answer to a friend each day as we listen so that it’s a legitimate--and I use that term very, very loosely--victory. And, well, I don’t like to brag, but I’m really good at it. Like really good. Like Usain Bolt running the 100 meter good.
Now I know you’re on the edge of your seat waiting with bated breath for the point of all this nonsense and you will be rewarded for your patience shortly.
I tuned my radio to 99.9 at 7:56am yesterday and were my friends playing a montage? No. They were discussing some meaningless drivel that had nothing to do with me getting a personal victory for the fourth day in a row.
And do you know why they were doing such things? Because stupid Arizona refuses to participate in Daylight Savings Time with the majority of the country, thus ruining my morning and causing my self-esteem to take a nosedive.
Remember the Time is now broadcast at 7am MST and there’s a better chance that I’ll start running as fast as our friend Usain than there is that I’ll be in my car by 7am each morning.
Just wanted to share my personal Daylight Savings Time heartache with you. De nada.
It is just so sad! It's also sad that they won't email me back about messing up our lives. So long fist pumps. I'll see you again in the spring.
ReplyDelete