One Woman's Trash
Apparently my trash is really no one's treasure, judging by the success of my garage sale this past weekend. Mercy. I could not sell my old televisions for the life of me. BUT. But. I did sell the Urban Rebounder. For ten dollars. Meaning that I sold it for approximately 1/15 its original value. Regardless, I couldn't be happier to have that thing out of my living space. As I told Jarred this weekend, the Urban Rebounder is my one great shame in life.
I'll tell you what though, garage-salers are stingy. I couldn't even sell a nice, working Kenmore vacuum cleaner for $5. This lady offered me two, TWO!, dollars for it. Are you serious, lady? No. But I will take $3 for it. Because it's imperative that I enjoy an extra Twix bar whilst thinking about how that vacuum cleaner paid for my sugar fix.
One lady kept sniffing my clothes and then putting them on over her clothes, which I thought was a bit odd, even for garage sale-type behavior. She then proceeded to wear a shirt she bought all around the garage sale while she shopped a bit more. It was a bit chilly, I guess.
Let me just tell you. Life ain't easy for a Type A perfectionist with pack-rat tendencies. I spend the majority of my free time trying to organize lots of unnecessary junk into orderly stacks. I'm trying to reduce the number of orderly piles that I'll have to transport to a new home when I get married next year though, so the garage sale was a partial solution to my problems. I found, to my surprise, that I had no trouble parting with most of thejunk treasures that I chose to sell. And the whopping $56.50 of pure profit didn't hurt either. Jarred and I can buy a whole tank of gas now.
I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'd be happy to sell you any of my possessions for almost nothing because clearing out space in my home has now become the primary focus of my life. The fact that I was willing to sell things that were formerly of primary importance to me for pennies on the dollar proves that 1) I should not buy any more things ever. 2) No matter how much I try to convince myself that it won't, that new shirt/pair of shoes/spoon holder will most likely become a nuisance within a matter of months. And when it does, I'll be willing to part with it for 25 cents because I'm a cash-in-hand junkie and frankly, that Hoarders show has scared the life out of me.
Thank you,
Minimalist Micah
I'll tell you what though, garage-salers are stingy. I couldn't even sell a nice, working Kenmore vacuum cleaner for $5. This lady offered me two, TWO!, dollars for it. Are you serious, lady? No. But I will take $3 for it. Because it's imperative that I enjoy an extra Twix bar whilst thinking about how that vacuum cleaner paid for my sugar fix.
One lady kept sniffing my clothes and then putting them on over her clothes, which I thought was a bit odd, even for garage sale-type behavior. She then proceeded to wear a shirt she bought all around the garage sale while she shopped a bit more. It was a bit chilly, I guess.
Let me just tell you. Life ain't easy for a Type A perfectionist with pack-rat tendencies. I spend the majority of my free time trying to organize lots of unnecessary junk into orderly stacks. I'm trying to reduce the number of orderly piles that I'll have to transport to a new home when I get married next year though, so the garage sale was a partial solution to my problems. I found, to my surprise, that I had no trouble parting with most of the
I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'd be happy to sell you any of my possessions for almost nothing because clearing out space in my home has now become the primary focus of my life. The fact that I was willing to sell things that were formerly of primary importance to me for pennies on the dollar proves that 1) I should not buy any more things ever. 2) No matter how much I try to convince myself that it won't, that new shirt/pair of shoes/spoon holder will most likely become a nuisance within a matter of months. And when it does, I'll be willing to part with it for 25 cents because I'm a cash-in-hand junkie and frankly, that Hoarders show has scared the life out of me.
Thank you,
Minimalist Micah
Totally hear ya on this one! Brian was annoyed by the fact that I wouldn't sell this computer bag (with my old school's name on it, mind you) to a lady for $2. I was insistent on nothing less than $5. It was a nice bag! It was a matter of principle at that point.
ReplyDeleteAlso, I love hearing "Jerred and I" can buy a whole tank of gas! So cute!