Howdy, Y'all!
So yesterday we received an e-mail that the county is encouraging employees to wear western apparel several days over the next few weeks in, and I quote, "recognition of the Pikes Peak or Bust Rodeo and the El Paso County Fair that are a traditional part of our western heritage."
I have no western heritage but you'd better believe that "western apparel" translates to "Banana Republic jeans" in my tiny brain and thus, I am wearing my favorite pair of denim britches today. I am also wearing cowboy boots because I wanted to make sure no one questioned my definition of "western."
As it turns out, I appear to be the only person in a building of about 600 people who decided to participate in western apparel day. All I can say is I'm just as confused as Paula Cole about where all the cowboys have gone.
Thank the good Lord I opted not to go full cowgirl and wear my rodeo shirt.
It's red with little blue horses runnin' around willy-nilly on it. And it has pearl snaps. My only explanation for this is that I went through a rodeo phase about five years ago and wanted nothing more than an authentic rodeo shirt. I also bought a pair of children's boots because they were considerably cheaper than adult boots and I have unreasonably small feet. The downside of this is that children's boots are just as short as you would expect them to be in order to hit a seven year-old boy at mid-calf. Translation: they barely cover my ankles. Translation: I cannot wear them with skirts.
Yes, you should laugh at me. I certainly do. In the timeless words of Garth Brooks, "I'm shameless."
Luckily my generous Nanaw supported my quest for western greatness and bought me a really nice pair of Justin boots several years ago, so I don't get laughed at anymore. For my boots, that is. Or maybe people do laugh at me just for wearing boots. I can't be sure. Well, I could be sure if I heard someone say "Look! That girl's wearing boots! Hahahahaha." Not really the point, though.
There's a lesson for all of us here somewhere and it has to do with being yourself, not worrying about what people think of you, fighting the good fight, being all that you can be, wearing jeans ANYTIME it's possible and buying age-appropriate clothing in order not to be ridiculed. At least that's my take-away. You?
I have no western heritage but you'd better believe that "western apparel" translates to "Banana Republic jeans" in my tiny brain and thus, I am wearing my favorite pair of denim britches today. I am also wearing cowboy boots because I wanted to make sure no one questioned my definition of "western."
As it turns out, I appear to be the only person in a building of about 600 people who decided to participate in western apparel day. All I can say is I'm just as confused as Paula Cole about where all the cowboys have gone.
Thank the good Lord I opted not to go full cowgirl and wear my rodeo shirt.
It's red with little blue horses runnin' around willy-nilly on it. And it has pearl snaps. My only explanation for this is that I went through a rodeo phase about five years ago and wanted nothing more than an authentic rodeo shirt. I also bought a pair of children's boots because they were considerably cheaper than adult boots and I have unreasonably small feet. The downside of this is that children's boots are just as short as you would expect them to be in order to hit a seven year-old boy at mid-calf. Translation: they barely cover my ankles. Translation: I cannot wear them with skirts.
Yes, you should laugh at me. I certainly do. In the timeless words of Garth Brooks, "I'm shameless."
Luckily my generous Nanaw supported my quest for western greatness and bought me a really nice pair of Justin boots several years ago, so I don't get laughed at anymore. For my boots, that is. Or maybe people do laugh at me just for wearing boots. I can't be sure. Well, I could be sure if I heard someone say "Look! That girl's wearing boots! Hahahahaha." Not really the point, though.
There's a lesson for all of us here somewhere and it has to do with being yourself, not worrying about what people think of you, fighting the good fight, being all that you can be, wearing jeans ANYTIME it's possible and buying age-appropriate clothing in order not to be ridiculed. At least that's my take-away. You?
This is one of the funniest things I've ever read! I can't wait for more!!
ReplyDelete