Ask and You Shall Receive

Whew! Is it finally Thursday? You know what that means…a rousing good time with friends. Happy Thursday! See, we call it “Happy Thursday” because we get to watch “The Office” AND it’s a celebration on the eve of “Invincible Friday.” Now why is Friday invincible, you might ask? Well, it’s a concept I came up with while I was teaching little tiny adorable overactive snotty un-medicated preschoolers. I noticed that no matter how bad a Friday was, I maintained a “go with the flow” attitude. I know you’re thinking, “But Micah, you always seem to have an easy-going, even-tempered aura about you.” You would think. However, just like you Regular Joes out there, I sometimes get stressed and have difficulty managing said stress. But. Not. On. Fridays. Because no matter what you do to me on Friday, I am guaranteed not to have to see you or deal with you or think about you for the next two days. Thus, I am invincible!

I am now going to interrupt my regularly scheduled distribution of sarcasm to talk about something a little more serious. Yes, I do have a tender, serious side. It can be reached from 10pm-12am Mondays and Wednesdays Mountain Standard Time. Okay, really. I can do it. I’m all business now. The Lord has really been driving something home to me recently and I’d love to hear any thoughts you all have about it. It’s the concept of praying boldly. Through various sermons, articles, blogs, and in my quiet time recently, the idea that He wants us to pray boldly has been emphasized. A lot. It would appear that there may be something the Lord wants me to learn. He does that sometimes, you know.

I’ll admit, I have trouble with the idea that we should “tell” God what we want. I don’t believe in a “Health and Wealth,” or what I once heard referred to as a “Blab It and Grab It” (ha!) concept of prayer. I don’t believe that God created us to be comfortable or to have everything we want just because we want it. However, I do believe it when Christ says: “Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours” (Mark 11: 24). I struggle to pray with boldness because I don’t know what’s best for me. At the time, I think I know what’s best, but later discover that what I wanted wasn’t really what I needed. Maybe that’s why it’s usually easy for me to trust Him when something doesn’t pan out. However, there are some things that I deeply desire that I feel led to petition the Lord to grant me. It seems scriptural for me to ask for these things, but where is the balance between asking boldly and telling? For now, I’ll continue to listen to Him. He’s never led me astray.

I had more to share with y’all but this is getting lengthy, so I’ll save it for another day. Happy Thursday everyone!

Comments

  1. Great post, Micah. You're so funny! And insightful. Just two of the myriad reasons we keep you around. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. YES, YES, YES!! I know exactly what you mean with praying. It feels like I am being so selfish when I pray for things for myself. Or praying for things that are out of my control. Where is the line??

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting my blog!

Popular Posts