The Heart of a Champion
I watched the BCS National Championship game last night with several friends (seven girls, one guy…how sad). I love hanging out with good friends and watching football. We always end up with some great jokes at the end of the night, and you know I love a good laugh. I made some yummy chili and no-bake cookies. Perfect football food, but not so great if you’re attempting to keep those calories at bay. Oh, well.
My Nanaw and some of my other family members attended the game in Miami. I looked for them, but did not spot them among the 78,468 people reported to be in attendance, despite my astounding crowd-scanning capabilities. Regardless, they were there, cheering their hearts out for the Sooners. And I was home, cheering my heart out for Tim Tebow and the SEC. I will probably be shot on spot the next time I go to Nanaw’s house.

Nanaw
It’s not that I don’t love and support my Nanaw. I do. It’s just that I embrace the argument that the SEC is and always will be the strongest, most competitive conference in the nation. For this reason, I must cheer for the SEC no matter what.*** Even if it means estrangement from my family. That’s how strongly I cling to my ideals.
***Exception: Any SEC team Houston Nutt is coaching.
I also wanted the Gators to win because Tim Tebow is such a strong witness for Jesus Christ. I love how he doesn’t “play down” his faith for the media and I’m impressed with how much coverage they give to his mission work. He’s such a great role model for young boys and he has an amazing testimony! Plus, he’s adorable. How could you cheer against the guy?

Both teams played well and I think it was a great national championship game. I love that the Gators used the jump pass to score. I love that play but I'm glad they don't overuse it. Also, did everyone see poor Chris Rainey's knee get hyperextended? O-U-C-H. It looked really bad. I can't find an injury update today, but that guy was writhing in pain...which reminds me of something else I need to share...
On my way to work today I saw someone hit a dog with their Dodge Ram Hemi Monster Truck of the World. It was the most horrifying thing ever mainly because, without being too graphic, the dog was still alive. I started crying immediately and almost had a terrible accident as a result of trying not to look at the poor creature, who was being helped by several other people (I promise, I would have helped had no one else been there. Even if it made me go into hysteria-induced shock). What might have been even more ghastly is the fact that the owner was there and had been taking a walk with the dog. He was carrying a leash in his hand, but didn’t have the dog on it. The dog must have gotten too far away from him and bolted out into the street. I think I have PTSD as a result of this experience. Wonder what the people who actually helped the little guy have.
Here's hoping you had a better night than Chris Rainey and a better morning than the owner of Bolt. I'm off to find a bullet-proof vest to wear to Nanaw's house!
My Nanaw and some of my other family members attended the game in Miami. I looked for them, but did not spot them among the 78,468 people reported to be in attendance, despite my astounding crowd-scanning capabilities. Regardless, they were there, cheering their hearts out for the Sooners. And I was home, cheering my heart out for Tim Tebow and the SEC. I will probably be shot on spot the next time I go to Nanaw’s house.
Nanaw
It’s not that I don’t love and support my Nanaw. I do. It’s just that I embrace the argument that the SEC is and always will be the strongest, most competitive conference in the nation. For this reason, I must cheer for the SEC no matter what.*** Even if it means estrangement from my family. That’s how strongly I cling to my ideals.
***Exception: Any SEC team Houston Nutt is coaching.
I also wanted the Gators to win because Tim Tebow is such a strong witness for Jesus Christ. I love how he doesn’t “play down” his faith for the media and I’m impressed with how much coverage they give to his mission work. He’s such a great role model for young boys and he has an amazing testimony! Plus, he’s adorable. How could you cheer against the guy?

Both teams played well and I think it was a great national championship game. I love that the Gators used the jump pass to score. I love that play but I'm glad they don't overuse it. Also, did everyone see poor Chris Rainey's knee get hyperextended? O-U-C-H. It looked really bad. I can't find an injury update today, but that guy was writhing in pain...which reminds me of something else I need to share...
On my way to work today I saw someone hit a dog with their Dodge Ram Hemi Monster Truck of the World. It was the most horrifying thing ever mainly because, without being too graphic, the dog was still alive. I started crying immediately and almost had a terrible accident as a result of trying not to look at the poor creature, who was being helped by several other people (I promise, I would have helped had no one else been there. Even if it made me go into hysteria-induced shock). What might have been even more ghastly is the fact that the owner was there and had been taking a walk with the dog. He was carrying a leash in his hand, but didn’t have the dog on it. The dog must have gotten too far away from him and bolted out into the street. I think I have PTSD as a result of this experience. Wonder what the people who actually helped the little guy have.
Here's hoping you had a better night than Chris Rainey and a better morning than the owner of Bolt. I'm off to find a bullet-proof vest to wear to Nanaw's house!

Oh my gosh, that poor dog! I hope it is okay(ish). And also, I feel your pain, for one night I saw a cat that had been hit and was writhing in pain and it was awful. Had I not already been crying, I would have started.
ReplyDeleteI have a dog story. Many years ago my then boyfriend and myself were driving and spotted a dog lying in the road that had been hit by a car. I urged him to stop and us help the dog. By us I meant him. I was crying and upset. The dog bit him. We spent the rest of the day at the emergency room getting a shot and talking to animal control about the situation. They (animal control) left to go get the dog and make certain it was rabies (sp?) free. When they got there the dog was gone. Sad and strange. We were then informed to never try to help a dog under those circumstances. I was thinking next time we should just wear gloves.
ReplyDeleteIs Nanaw Gwen? I love that woman. We too cheered for the SEC. Love reading your blog.
This is my second attempt at posting this.
ReplyDelete1. I love that you posted that picture of Nanaw as well as the one of Timmy T.
2. I also wish that we could get an injury update and that FOX would have shown the replay a couple more times.
3. I am so sad about the dog...and your PTSD. I happen to know a couple of therapists who could walk you through some EMDR to help you process this incident.
The only thing different would be that I WOULD have had a wreck and I would have been too shaken up to go to work. That is awful!!
ReplyDeleteDid you mean the *** to say "any team NOT coached by Houston Nutt"?
Poor puppy. But just perhaps he's gonna make it on his own!!
ReplyDeleteTrish: that's sounds awful! I will remember that story if I'm ever tempted to stop and help.
ReplyDeleteKristen: The exception to me cheering for the SEC is any team coached by Houston Nutt. Meaning, I will always cheer for the SEC, unless it's one of his teams.
Alecia: My PTSD is apparently permanent. Thank you for trying to help.