My Stay in Terminal B
If you haven’t heard me recount the following tale yet, well, you’re in the minority. I’ve pretty much talked to death anyone capable of listening to my sob story. And while majority traditionally rules in most locales, this blog is not one of them. So, this one’s for the one of you who hasn’t been forced to garner any sympathy for my plight yet. Hope you’re feeling benevolent today.
Last Wednesday I embarked on a journey to Fort Smith, AR at approximately 4:35 PM MST. My anticipated arrival time in Fort Smith, AR was 9:30 PM CST, same day. Had I known the trials that would befall me in the next 24 hours, I would have stayed in bed.
I think a list of new experiences might be the most appropriate medium for helping you understand what transpired.
Last Wednesday I embarked on a journey to Fort Smith, AR at approximately 4:35 PM MST. My anticipated arrival time in Fort Smith, AR was 9:30 PM CST, same day. Had I known the trials that would befall me in the next 24 hours, I would have stayed in bed.
I think a list of new experiences might be the most appropriate medium for helping you understand what transpired.
Prior to Wednesday, June 10, 2009 I had never…
- Had a plane make an emergency landing in Wichita Falls, TX because the air conditioner was releasing smoke into the cabin.
- Experienced a loss of cabin pressure while making an emergency landing.
- Been forced to sit on a plane with no air conditioning for five hours next to a strange man with absolutely no regard for personal leg space or awareness of his halitosis.
- “Slept” on a cot in Terminal B of the DFW airport.
- Cried myself to “sleep” on a cot in Terminal B of the DFW airport.
- Feared that someone might take my life in order to procure the valuables I was sleeping on.
- Eaten at an airport TGI Fridays six consecutive times. Apparently I'm a stress eater.
- Washed my hair in an automatic sink in an airport.
- Had 5 flights in a row cancelled for no conceivable reason.
- Paid approximately one-half of my yearly income to rent a car to drive one-way to Fort Smith from Dallas.
- Completely disregarded a toll booth because I didn’t see it through my tears.
- Received a checked bag in which every single solitary item was completely soaked and some of it ruined.
- Been in a verbal and physical altercation with most of the employees of American Airlines.
- Seriously considered wandering into oncoming traffic.
However, thanks to American Airlines, I can now say that I’ve done each of these things.
Here is a picture of my bed to prove it.
That is my sweatshirt in the pillow area. It should not be mistaken for a blanket or a pillow. I had neither. And no, I don't know what that large stain in the middle of the cot is. And yes, it was there before I received said cot. And yes, I do have a weird rash now.
I had a lovely time at home once I arrived. The wedding I attended was beautiful and lots of fun. I got to spend a lot of quality time with my wonderful family. And the cherry on top--my flight home was without consequence. PTL.
You really make me laugh! This was, in fact, not the first time I had heard the story, but it was equally as entertaining as the first time it was told. I'm sorry for your terrible trip home and I'm even more sorry that I got a good laugh at your expense...twice! It was great to see you!!
ReplyDeleteThat is bafflingly bad luck. I'm impressed you survived. :) Your blog may be one of my favorite things to read. Have I told you this before?
ReplyDeleteDid you see anyone from Homeland Security eyeing you as if to taze you? I hear they do that sometimes . . .
ReplyDelete