Arkansans Unite

I know you don’t want to talk about American Idol, but I do. And it’s my blog so I get to decide what we’re going to discuss. I really think Kris might’ve pulled out the win. Logically, it seems like most of Gokey’s fans would have shifted their support to Kris. Additionally, as I’ve explained to many of my friends from various places around the country, Arkansans will go to great lengths to obtain any positive attention from the national media. We will use any means necessary, even if it means dialing until our fingers fall off. We don’t get much glory.

*On a bit of a tangent, if you’re not from my great state, you should visit sometime. It’s a beautiful place filled with wonderful, kind people. Stop stereotyping us based on the eye-witness account of the tornado you saw on Fox News, please. Thank you and that is all.*

Back to Idol. I couldn’t even get a vote in for Kris, despite numerous attempts. I’m sure the same would’ve been the case for Adam, but I didn’t try because even if Adam is the better vocalist, my loyalty to Arkansas cannot be shaken. Just like my loyalty to country music, Cheer laundry detergent, Philadelphia cream cheese, and a number of other products that I’m sure I’m loyal to but just can’t think of right now.

Next, I would like someone to congratulate me on walking right past The Cheesecake Factory AND The Grande Lux Café yesterday in a Denver mall on my lunch hour. They are two of my favorite restaurants in Denver and a rare treat. My stomach was growling and I could hear it saying “Vanilla Bean Cheesecake,” but I rebuked it. After I finished my shopping, I proceeded to my car and ate my delicious turkey sandwich from home. It was satisfying to my tummy, my flabby arms, and my wallet considering that their cheesecake is like seventy dollars a slice.

Finally, it is my understanding that I am at least a decade behind “The Hiding Place” craze. I’m not sure why I didn’t read it early in my adolescence like everyone else in my generation apparently did. However, I finished it last weekend and cried like a little girl. Now I need another meaningful book to read, so give me some suggestions of books you read as a child that I missed out on because I was too busy reading Nancy Drew.

Comments

  1. Did you read The Giver when you were a kid? If not, you should read it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jaci, I read it in college for a Children's Lit course. It's one of my favs! Thanks for the suggestion, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please check out my goodreads profile for a delightful variety of books under the category I've titled "Children's books that adults should read."

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll check it. But I've probably already read most of them. I'm more looking for books I missed out on while I had my head burried in a children's book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't watch A.I. but I'm rooting for Kris. I've been telling friends in Dallas that I know him. OBVI I don't really know him but people here think that all Arkansans know each other so I'm going with it (they also think that people work in toll booths because they have tails). I can't help you in the book department, we all know I don't read. I'm happy with what my friends call my "picture books" aka US weekly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you should upgrade to great adult literature. I've tons sitting not ten feet from your bedroom door, so anytime you want to borrow something, just let me know. Suggestions--This Side of Paradise, Brave New World, and Til We Have Faces. All outstanding, possibly life changing, books.

    ReplyDelete
  7. CONGRATS!!! I am so proud of you for walking by the cheescake!!! You go GIRL!!! That is hard to do, trust me I love cheese cake =)!
    I agree I think that Chris should win!! I know I have posted late (he already won) but just had to say I agree with you!
    Rachel

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting my blog!

Popular Posts