Babies, Burns, and Boo-yah.
I traveled to the Dallas/Fort Worth region of these United States last weekend to go to the lake with some of my college besties. It’s a tradition we started way back in college when we were young, and poor, and had no sense. We decided that every year we would take a weekend in July and try to die of sun poisoning and heat exhaustion at some lake in the mid-south. For years, we tent camped at just about all of the lakes between Arkansas, Oklahoma, and Texas. And for years we enjoyed it.
Finally, though, someone had a kid and we got a little good sense knocked into us.
I give you…“The Lake House.”
Isn’t it beautiful? I could never have imagined having such a nice place to stay. It was perfect. And I’ve gotta say, this really beats trying to decide which married couple’s tent to crash in. It was getting a little awkward being the only single gal left in the group. I’m just sayin…
On Friday night my friend Whitney hosted a murder mystery. We all dressed up as our characters and acted out parts as guys and dolls at a cookout in the 50’s. I was Tiara Diamond, the beauty queen whose fiancé had been murdered. Duh.
It was a barrel of laughs having everyone dressed up in costume. And you’d be surprised at how many “That’s What She Said” jokes the Christian kids can come up with when faced with dialogue borne of the 1950’s.
It goes without saying that the majority of my time was spent holding Lyla and playing with Ayan, my friend’s 2 ½ year old. I cannot tell you what a joy it was to be around these two for the weekend. Ayan allowed me to share each meal with him at his Dora picnic table and he sheltered me from some wayward ducks that seemed determined to attack me out on the lake. Unfortunately, I think I may have passed an irrational fear of birds on to the child.
Despite the gobs of sunscreen we spent hours applying to one another, we all still got fried crispy and I’ll tell you many, many aloe plants had to be harmed to render us mobile again.
Some of the boys went Striper fishing (please note: one “p”) and decided it would be funny to redneck it up a bit. This is what they came up with:
Their wives didn’t know whether to laugh or cry. Incidentally, it made for an awkward moment when Mark, the fishing guide, showed up in the exact same hat. Can you say Redneck Fashion Faux Pas? If you can't read their hats, one says "Yum" and said "Start a feeding frenzy" on the back. The other says "Boo-yah!" and said "Say it loud, say it proud" on the back. Oh, boy.
Embarrassing hats aside, I am so blessed to have such amazing, fun friends who love to just get out and have a good time...even if we look silly. Until next year, Lake Texoma.
Finally, though, someone had a kid and we got a little good sense knocked into us.
I give you…“The Lake House.”
Isn’t it beautiful? I could never have imagined having such a nice place to stay. It was perfect. And I’ve gotta say, this really beats trying to decide which married couple’s tent to crash in. It was getting a little awkward being the only single gal left in the group. I’m just sayin…
On Friday night my friend Whitney hosted a murder mystery. We all dressed up as our characters and acted out parts as guys and dolls at a cookout in the 50’s. I was Tiara Diamond, the beauty queen whose fiancé had been murdered. Duh.
It was a barrel of laughs having everyone dressed up in costume. And you’d be surprised at how many “That’s What She Said” jokes the Christian kids can come up with when faced with dialogue borne of the 1950’s.
It goes without saying that the majority of my time was spent holding Lyla and playing with Ayan, my friend’s 2 ½ year old. I cannot tell you what a joy it was to be around these two for the weekend. Ayan allowed me to share each meal with him at his Dora picnic table and he sheltered me from some wayward ducks that seemed determined to attack me out on the lake. Unfortunately, I think I may have passed an irrational fear of birds on to the child.
Despite the gobs of sunscreen we spent hours applying to one another, we all still got fried crispy and I’ll tell you many, many aloe plants had to be harmed to render us mobile again.
Some of the boys went Striper fishing (please note: one “p”) and decided it would be funny to redneck it up a bit. This is what they came up with:
Their wives didn’t know whether to laugh or cry. Incidentally, it made for an awkward moment when Mark, the fishing guide, showed up in the exact same hat. Can you say Redneck Fashion Faux Pas? If you can't read their hats, one says "Yum" and said "Start a feeding frenzy" on the back. The other says "Boo-yah!" and said "Say it loud, say it proud" on the back. Oh, boy.
Embarrassing hats aside, I am so blessed to have such amazing, fun friends who love to just get out and have a good time...even if we look silly. Until next year, Lake Texoma.
I would like that "booyah" hat for my birthday, please.
ReplyDeleteAnd so you shall have it.
ReplyDeleteI realized I never comment on your posts because I read them in Google. But I feel like you should know that I read them. I do. And just for future reference, I would accept a "booyah" hat for my birthday as well.
ReplyDeleteThat sounds like so much fun! Love the lake house. Bet you guys won't be going back to a tent..haha.
ReplyDelete- Trish not Roger..oops