It's the Final Countdown

There are three things I like best in life. The first is enjoying a cherry coke ICEE at a movie of my choosing. The second is tiny little post-it notes with my initials on them. And the third thing that I like best in life is spending each and every Saturday in the fall season of the year throwing things at my television and screaming at the Arkansas Razorbacks.

You’d think the ol’ “this is our year” philosophy would have gotten tired after 28 years of hoping, but if you thought that then your thinking would be wrong, you see. Hope springs eternal each year from this side of the football season. In August, I’m the world’s biggest optimist. December, however, is another story. Honestly you’d be hard-pressed to find another person as crabby as me come bowl season.

No matter how mediocre my Razorbacks turn out to be each year, though, I cannot help but drink the BCS bowl kool-aid when fall practice starts and even find myself caught up in talk of an inevitable Razorback National Championship every so often.

It’s a sickness, really. I’m trying to get some help.

With kick-off a mere 25 days, 2 hours, 23 minutes and 20 seconds away, I’ve been reading up on the season and trying to fill the interim period with entertaining football news.

Here are some things I’ve run across:

Please tell me these are not for real.

I have three words: Merry. Christmas. Dad. If you want to purchase your own pair for that special man in your life, they are available here.

Then there’s this guy who is writing a book about faith and fanaticism in the SEC. I’ve been trying to tell (or rather, demonstrate for) my friends from other parts of the country how we do not mess around with football in the Southeastern Conference. Now they can read about it. It will be like a window into my soul.

It's officially time to get excited now that we are less than 4 weeks out. My helmet schedule has been printed and affixed to my cubicle wall. The obligatory pilgrimage to Donald W. Reynolds Razorback Stadium has been planned. Foam fingers have been purchased. All we do now is wait...and pray that this will finally be the season when all my dreams come true (Razorback or otherwise).

Comments

  1. As a lifelong Denver Bronco fan, I can completely empathize with your hope. Because though we have gone through one of the worst offseasons ever (probably second only to the offseason where 3 of our players died), I still believe we could win the Superbowl. And I own Bronco boxers, so those pants ain't got nothin on me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those pants make my heart sad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Denise but I'm sure your dad will just love them! But also, I love ICEEs! And football season. And it's quite entertaining to watch you throw waxy things at the tv.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting my blog!

Popular Posts