I Need Some Moxie…Whatever That Is!

This morning I am listening to Dierks Bentley’s new album “Feel That Fire.” If you know me but at all, you know that I am one of the most dedicated Dierks Bentley fans on this planet we call earth. The man can write a song, people. And one that speaks to my heart. I scrambled out of bed this morning to download the new album the moment it was available from iTunes (thanks, mama) because I’ve been digging the first release and title track for months. It is my favorite song he’s ever released.

On my way to work today, I realized why I like his music so much. Dierks often writes songs about women who have spirit. Moxie. Chutzpah. Gumption. Whatever you wish to call it. He appears, in his songs, to see something that the rest of the world doesn’t see in this woman. And he cherishes it. For some reason, this resonates with me. I like to believe that I have a lot of spirit- that I sometimes do things that take a little bit of courage. I long to be seen as an exciting, unpredictable adventure. For the most part though, it is very apparent to anyone who knows me that my life is basically flat-lined with a little spike in excitement every so often.


My taste in books goes hand-in-hand with the desire to be viewed as spirited. I read a lot and have no problem admitting that sometimes my taste in literature may border on the juvenile side of things. I have been known to read a chick-lit novel or two. If you’re not familiar with the genre, it basically covers the following: A young, single, twenty-something woman, usually wearing Jimmy Choo’s and living in London or New York, is fired unexpectedly from her job in publishing. Always publishing. She proceeds to wallow in self-pity and feel down about life, making a variety of embarrassing faux-pas and generally falling down a lot in front of her unrequited crush. She spends the majority of the book getting over Mr. Wrong, who dumped her when she lost her job, with Mr. Right waiting in the wings, secretly admiring every single quirk and short-coming about her until they are finally united in eternal-happily-ever-after-makes-you-sick-it’s-so-beautiful-love at the end of the book. Oh, and she’s usually offered her original job back at a 50% increase in salary. Which she declines. Because now she has all she ever dreamed of. Blechhhh.

Now that you’re up to speed on every book ever written in the chick-lit genre, I will explain why I made you endure that lengthy explanation. I-along with almost every other single girl my age in America- read them because I want to believe that there is someone out there who will appreciate every single quirky, unrefined, dorky, clumsy, outlandish thing about me. And there are a lot (this blog post being one of them. If you’re still reading, you deserve a gold medal). It’s inherent to our character as women to want someone to discover the wonderful hidden things about us that we didn’t even know were there. The thing is, God is the One who’s meant to fulfill this for us. He designed us that way. When we seek elsewhere, we come up short. This is a lesson I have to learn over and over again. So this morning, I will try to remember that I have a Creator who loves me more that I could ever imagine and cherishes every aspect of the personality He gave me. I pray that you ladies out there will rest in this love as well.

Comments

  1. What a great attitude - I so know where you are coming from. I'm such a sucker for those chick-lit novels for that reason. Have you tried some of the Christian chick-lit novels? If not, let me know and I can recommend tons to get you started. Keep the faith and I will pray for you:)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting my blog!

Popular Posts