A Year in the Life
One year ago on this date, I was recovering from a skiing accident which involved a lacerated liver and some internal bleeding, not to mention the tachycardia induced by one Dr. Travis Stork (pictured above), aka “The Bachelor.” It was great good fun. Thinking about that incident a year ago has made me reflect on the happenings in my life over the past twelve months. I know I’m about two months behind, as most people reflect like this around New Years. What can I say? I’m a procrastinator. Just ask the clean clothes waiting to be folded at the end of my bed.Break-down of my life in the last year:
Books read: 67
Movies watched:112
ICEEs ingested: 231
Concerts attended: 20
Nights spent in a hospital bed: 6
Medical expenses incurred: $35,412.78 (Praise the Lord for great insurance)
Mullets spotted: 563
Roommates married off: 2
Roommates run out of town: 1
Hours spent talking/thinking about/watching football: 1,247
Foam fingers purchased: 1
Hairstyles regretted: 326
Ankles sprained: 2
Times I’ve embarrassed myself: 841
Times I’ve embarrassed my friends/family: 840
As you can see, it was a busy year with lots of laughter (mostly at me) and quite a few mullets. I mean you can’t go to that many country concerts and not see more than your fair share of mullets. Moving on…
As I look back on my journals/calendars/memorabilia, it strikes me that, to some degree, I've been treading water, which is upsetting. I don't want to live my life simply drifting from day to day trying to make it through. I want to live with purpose.
Don’t get me wrong, I’ve had fun over the last year. I spend most of my life laughing at little things that probably wouldn’t get a smile from most folks. I’m easily amused and try my best to keep a sense of wonderment about this world.
But I think I should be asking the Lord for more.* And I’m ready to start expecting Him to deliver. Because I know he wants me to keep moving forward and growing in my knowledge and understanding of Him.
Ephesians 5:15-16 says that we are to live wisely and make the most of every day (paraphrased). So that is my prayer today, that I would truly live life to the fullest, making each day count.
*I will be asking for fewer hospitalizations. More of everything else. Yes, even mullets.
So, the foam finger was the highlight, right?
ReplyDeleteYour mom told me about the Dr. Bet that was an interesting surprise when you saw him. Also, I have to tell you the mullet is very much alive in Dickson, Tennessee. Not a day goes by I don't see a ton of 'em. I am so disturbed by this that I travel to AL where I am from to get my hair done for fear of leaving the "beauty shop" with one.
ReplyDeleteI'm wondering how many of these numbers are fabricated and how many are real? I mean can one really have kept up with ALL the movies and mullets?
ReplyDelete